Published on Wednesday, 18 January 2012 00:32
Written by E-Li
In Anoka-Hennepin School District, conservative Christian parents ask teachers to teach about the "ex-homosexual" movement and "gay-related immune deficiency". They would like the policy prohibiting discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity is not applied thinking it would open the schools to pro-homosexual teaching, so they want discriminations towards LGBTs continue.
Brian Lindquist and Mike Skaalerud, representatives of this group, require the following things and you will see it is...I don't even know how to qualify this...full of disgusting bigotry and bullshit:
- 1. A new division within the student support services and a special section on the District 11 website devoted to student of fiath, moral conviction, ex-homosexuals and ex-transgenders.
- 2. A listening tour by Superintendent Denny Carlson and district prevention coordinator Barry Scanlon with students of faith, moral conviction, ex-homosexuals, and ex-transgenders.
- 3. That District 11 administrators and staff work closely with pro-family and ex-homosexual and ex-transgender organizations to provide ongoing training to school counselors, school nurses, social workers, school psychologists, prevention specialists, student learning advocates and a number of secondary principals and principals.
- 4. Provide professional development opportunities in which philosophical, pedogogical, and political assumptions of GLBT advocacy are critically examined.
- 5. Provide webinars, seminars for all staff on over-coming sexual disorders
- 6. Provide training on bullying and suicide that protects all students.
- 7. Provide the history of gay-related immune deficiencies and acquired immune deficiencies and the medical consequences of homosexual acts.
- 8. That all health classes that address homosexuality be required to provide up-to-date information from the CDC on sexually transmitted diseases and HIV among the groups the CDC designates as men who have sex with men.
- 9. Provide the following pro-family, ex-homosexual, ex-transgender information and websites to all counselors, school psychologists classroom teachers [the list was submitted to the board and not spoken at the meeting]
- 10. Provide pro-family, ex-homosexual and ex-transgender videos to secondary media centers.
According to Daily Planet, Tiffany Strabala, a parent, blasted the Anoka Hennepin teachers union head Julie Blaha for saying that students are not "controversial issues" and that identities should not the subject of policies like the neutrality policy.
"The idea that same-sex attraction and volitional same sex acts constitute an identity that should be valued is a subjective and arguable belief it is not a fact," she said. "It is an outrage to me that a govt employee paid for by the taxes of people who don’t share her moral propositions believes that she has a right in her professional role to express her opinions about identity."
She added: "Will Miss Blaha argue, as most progressives do, that expressing the belief that volitional homosexual acts are not moral and makes kids unsafe, must be prohibited.
Liberal teachers want to affirm homosexual students in their identity but don’t feel a similar desire to affirm the religious identity of students from conservative faith traditions."