It wants to ensure that young people in the community are an integral part of society. Its strategy is based on The National Policy Framework for Children and Young People 2014-2020 which aims to ensure children and young people are:
- active and healthy physically and mentally
- excelling in all areas of learning and development
- safe and protected from harm
- have economic security and opportunity
- are connected, respected and can contribute to their community and world
The first step is a national online consultation to find out exactly what problems LGBT youth face in Ireland.
Children's Minister Katherine Zappone launched an online questionnaire for youths aged 15 to 24 available on Facebook live and Spunout.ie.
"Today we invite young people across Ireland to be part of history. Through Facebook Live and an online consultation with Spunout.ie they will help form the world’s first LGBTI+ National Youth Strategy," she said.
With this consultation, Ireland becomes the first country in the world to launch such a strategy to help LGBT youth.